Butter & Beats Recipe: Shrimp Etouffee
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chopped scallions
- 1 chopped green bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning
- 1 quart shrimp stock
- 3 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Cooked white rice, according to package instructions
- Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven set over medium heat.
- Add the flour, stirring continuously to make a roux.
- Stir the roux over medium heat. You want it to look like peanut butter, approx. 10 minutes. Do not turn your back on this process.
- Add the onions, bell peppers, and garlic to the roux, and cook, stirring often, for another 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes to the pot.
- Cook the tomatoes for 5 minutes and then whisk in the shrimp stock.
- Once the flour is completely cooked out reduce to a simmer.
- Cook the etouffee, stirring occasionally, for 60 minutes minutes.
- Toss the shrimp with the creole seasoning.
- Cook the shrimp in the etouffee for 10 - 15 minutes, or until they are cooked through.
- Serve and enjoy!